Thursday, January 24, 2013

Gift wrapping station

I actually had an OK system for storing wrapping paper and ribbons but somehow it always tangled or ended up on the floor and there was no room for boxes and bags. A few years back I came up with the idea to have a rod for the ribbons and it worked very well until I moved all the wrapping stuff into the office instead. Instead of horizontal it was now vertical - made a mess:



While cleaning my son's room I found an old thing he used to store books in and it was perfect for what I wanted to do and more important - it fit PERFECTLY in the little space behind the door.

I mounted a magnetic knife holder from IKEA for scissors and small containers also from IKEA. 


The wrapping paper was sorted and actually stayed as it was - I used another thing from IKEA which originally is for storing plastic bags. 
For the ribbons I had a small challenge - I wanted to be able to remove the ribbons easily for replacement or for big wrapping projects where I don't want to run back and forth for ribbons (like wrapping 72 small presents for the advent calender at Christmas). But I found two small hooks and I cut the rod I used earlier to size:


Since I didn't want to fix the hole from the previous ribbon holder I found a bathroom hook that was left over  for silk ribbons or bags etc.

On the shelf all the tape is and the extra ribbons. The black and white containers - also from IKEA - fit perfectly on the bars across and they contain extra tape, small to and from cards and other misc. stuff. 

I love the finished result and as our exchange student said: I envy the next person who comes and live here who get to use it (I guess with Christmas over she doesn't expect to do much wrapping :) ).



No comments:

Post a Comment